Friday Foodie Affair: Crockpot Mac & Cheese



This Friday Foodie Affiair is a twofer…two recipes in one. First will be Crockpot Mac & Cheese and second will be the Stewed Tomatoes I made to go with it.

Crockpot Mac & Cheese



Ingredients:

16 ounces cooked macaroni
16 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, cubed
16 ounces Colby cheese, Cubed
16 ounces Velveeta, Cubed
1 stick of butter, cut into slices
16 ounces milk
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

Spray crockpot lightly with cooking spray. Layer 1/3 of the macaroni in the bottom. Layer half of cheese, butter, salt, & pepper. Repeat, ending with last 1/3 of macaroni on top. Pour milk over mixture.

Cook on low for about 4 hours and stir about mid-way.

My Thoughts:

The prep work went off without a hitch…cut cheese, cut more cheese, cut butter, cut more cheese. Seriously, there’s a ridiculous amount of cheese in this! It’s insane! Anyway, I successfully cooked, cubed, and layered everything and then set it to do its own thing.

At about 2.5-3 hours I couldn’t take it anymore, I had to try it. Unfortunately, it was like Pringles, once you pop you just can’t stop. I would make up reasons to go to the kitchen just so I could sneak a bite.  It was delish and kept getting better and better as it cooked.  I think at 3.5 hours I gave up and just ate a bowl.

I was good but if I make it again there will have to be some changes. For one, it’s a huge amount of mac and cheese for just two people. That normally wouldn’t be a problem because leftover mac n cheese is amazeballs…usually. That wasn’t quite the case this time.  It wasn’t bad but the leftovers definitely didn’t wow me like it did the first time around.

Next time (if there is a next time) I will use less cheese and butter…and there’s a good chance I’ll switch to bags of shredded cheese instead of taking the time to cube it.

Recipe Source: shortstopblog.com
Photo Source: Me :)


Stewed Tomatoes
 (with my trusty smilie spoon :))

Ingredients:

12 tomatoes
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
Pepper
1 teaspoon sugar; 2 if more sweetness is preferred
1 tablespoon cornflour dissolved in a little cold water for thickening (optional)

Directions:

1. Pour boiling water over the tomatoes to remove the skins. Alternatively, you can blanch the tomatoes: Boil enough water to cover your tomatoes. Place tomatoes in the boiling water for about 30 seconds, then transfer them to a bowl of ice water. When the tomatoes are cool enough to touch, remove the skins.

2. Cut the tomatoes into pieces. Add the butter, salt, pepper, and sugar.

3. Cook slowly over low heat (stew) for half an hour.

4. Thicken if desired with cornstarch

My Thoughts:

Growing up my Grandma used to make awesome stewed tomatoes. There were sweet and well... perfect. How she did it, I’m not sure BUT I wanted to at least try my hand at it. This version turned out ok but certainly not like I remember growing up. I think next time I’ll try to make it a little sweeter or try a whole new recipe.

Recipe Source: Wikihow
Photo Source: Me :)


5 comments

  1. I have always wanted to try Mac & cheese in the crock pot but doesn't the mac get to overcooked and mushy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it did get mushy I didn't notice it.

      Delete
    2. Then again I'm not really picky about how mushy noodles are or aren't so it might just be something I don't pay attention to.

      Delete
  2. Eeep! I was just talking to Kevin about making Mac & Cheese in the crock pot. I have a recipe for M&C with veggies. It's good but I wanted more cheese (it just has the velveeta) so this sounds perfect. Thanks for the tip for using shredded too.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect timing! And if you're lookig for cheesy then this one is definitely for you!!

      Delete

I love hearing from you and will try to respond to comments as much as possible.