Shelf Candy Saturday (2) - Burn Bright & Angel Arias


Some friends were talking about these books earlier and I thought they would be perfect shelf candy!

Burn Bright (Night Creatures #1) by Marianne de Pierres


Into a world of wild secrets and deadly pleasures comes a girl whose innocence may be her greatest strength.

In Ixion music and party are our only beliefs. Darkness is our comfort. We have few rules but they are absolute . . .

Retra doesn’t want to go to Ixion, the island of ever-night, ever-youth and never-sleep. Retra is a Seal – sealed minds, sealed community. She doesn’t crave parties and pleasure, experience and freedom.

But her brother Joel left for Ixion two years ago, and Retra is determined to find him. Braving the intense pain of her obedience strip to escape the only home she’s ever known, Retra stows away on the barge that will take her to her brother.

When she can’t find Joel, Retra finds herself drawn deeper into the intoxicating world of Ixion. Come to me, whispers a voice in her head. Who are the Ripers, the mysterious guardians of Ixion? What are the Night Creatures Retra can see in the shadows? And what happens to those who grow too old for Ixion?

Retra will find that Ixion has its pleasures, but its secrets are deadly. Will friendship, and the creation of an eternal bond with a Riper, be enough to save her from the darkness?

Listen well, baby bats. Burn bright, but do not stray from the paths. Remember, when you live in a place of darkness you also live with creatures of the dark.



I'm not sure what I think about the pink and yellow text but over all I love this cover! It's so dark and creeptastic!! I also like the smudgyness and drippyness feel of the cover.

Author's Site
Goodreads
Fishpond.com


Angel Arias (Night Creatures #2) by Marianne de Pierres


Retra - now called Naif - has escaped from Ixion, the island of ever-night. She doesn't know if her friends on the island survived the battle between the Ripers and the rebels. But she does know that she must return home, behind the sealed walls of Grave, to find out why the Ripers have been seen there talking to the councillors. What links the two worlds? 

First she must convince Ruzalia to help her. The fierce pirate captain saves those who face terrible fates on Ixion, but that doesn't guarantee their gratitude. Instead, she faces a revolt - and Naif is caught in the middle. 

Naif will need all her courage to survive. For Lenoir, who wants to keep her safe, for her friends Suki and Rollo, if they live, for Markes, who has secrets of his own, and for the new friends she will make on this journey. 

The fate of worlds depends on it.




This cover has the same dark feel to it. I also think the title color fits much better with the rest of the cover!

Goodreads
Fishpond.com





12 comments

  1. This is my first look at these. They are haunting in an abstract sort of way. I am not sure how I feel about the pink and yellow lettering either. I love pink and yellow, but I always think of it on a real girly girl cover. Thanks for sharing them.
    - FABR Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those are awesome! They remind me of the photos taken in that modeling show, the with Tyra???? Can't remember the name. Ashley used to watch it.
    OH! Next Top Model! It looks like something they would do for one of their photo shoots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now these covers are seriously cool. Who is the artist on these? Not sure I like the pink and the smokey outline. Regardless, FANTASTIC covers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOAH! Amazing covers! I can't wait to put them on my goodreads TBR list. I agree about the text, but I'm willing to ignore it because the rest is so amazing. Really good choice!
    Thanks for sharing!

    You can find my shelf candy here: http://www.thewindypages.com/2012/03/shelf-candy-saturday-22.html

    Happy Shelf Candy Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time i have seen these and they practically scream off the page! Talk about a powerful design. I would totally be drawn to these in a book store - probably because they arr so eery! I think i like the pink lettering - it pops off the black. Very artistic and stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen anything like this! It looks like they are exploding or something lol. Great pick. My Shelf Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah! Interesting choice! The first one looks kind of like a painting that someone splashed with water to make it look like it was crying. For some reason, I see a certain contrast that leaves me scratching my head (in a good way) between the girl's face and the overall picture. The overall picture is gothic and dirty and gritty and messy, but the girl's face is beautiful and simple and it's like, she knows a secret we don't... awesome pick!!!
    My Shelf Candy

    Shae @ Understanding Shae's Story

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow these are amazing. I have never seen them before. Great choice. Thanks for sharing. my SCS http://jennreneeread.blogspot.com/2012/03/shelf-candy-saturday-7.html

    new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is freaking awesome. I love that is looks like a freaking painting. The way her face is so grimy and the way here makeup is smeared is epic. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! These covers are powerful and dark! Great picks! I like the splash of color with the titles.

    Steph My Shelf Candy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for commenting!

    The more I look at these covers, the more I love them!

    I looked up the person who did the cover image. She has other fantastic works.

    http://www.kubicki.info/
    Jarosław Kubicki

    **Anyone under age just be forewarned, there are some nudes on the site

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, there! Thanks for following my blog! Now I'm following you back, with GFC as well as Linky Followers.

    I had been meaning to get to your Shelf Candy post, but just didin't have the time. Well, I finally made it! It's just that I gotta tell you how much I LOVE these covers!! Yes, they're haunting, but they are just so well done, artistically speaking, that I adore them! Pink and black have always been a very dynamic combination, especially HOT pink, which is my favorite shade of that color. These covers are just SO surreal! I think the artist had several 20th-century art influences -- I'm thinking particularly of Andy Warhol, Robert Rauschenberg, and Jasper Johns. (Yeah, I'm an art buff! Lol.)

    Anyway...these are SUPERFANTABULOUS picks, and they're going right onto my TBR bookshelf on Goodreads!!! Thanks for sharing!! : )

    Maria @ http://anightsdreamofbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and will try to respond to comments as much as possible.