Falling Under (Falling Under #1) by Gwen Hayes


  
Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she’s seen Haden before-not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.

And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia’s not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.


My Thoughts:

Hhmm, where to start. Well I’ll start by saying I’m at a loss at how to rate this book. I’m almost tempted to rate/review the book in two parts. Yes, that’s what I’ll do. Here goes…

Part One aka the first half of the book – I will give this part a 1.5 and I’m sorry, but this may be a bit of a rant. And I really hate to rant about books but I think it’s necessary. This book affected me so heavily that I was literally huffing angrily and cursing at the book. I honestly want to tear pages from the book (not that I would actually do that). Why such hostility? The beginning plot reminded me of two other books that I didn’t like (Fallen and Evermore <= my reviews are linked). I know this wouldn’t bother everyone but it just grated on my nerves. Good girl meets bad boy…bad boy is all warm and fuzzy one minute than an ass the next…girl barely thinks twice about putting herself in grave danger to be with warm and fuzzy/ass. It’s been done and I didn’t like it the first two times around. I think I need to try harder to avoid books with this plot. I should give this part of the book a 1, but I did somewhat enjoy the occasional spooky scene so that earned it half a star/point.

Part Two aka the second half of the book – I will give this part a 3.5…maybe a 3 because of the hint of lingering frustration now that I’m thinking back to the beginning of the book. Anyway… I was SO SO SO relieved (SO relieved) when the book turned around for me. It was at almost the exact half way mark where the frustration was slowly replaced with curiosity and the cursing quieted down. I was wondering where the story would go but I still wouldn’t go as far as to say that it blew me away. I can’t really say too much without posting spoilers but I will say that there were some interesting twists and the second half of the book was overall a much easier read.

Please just remember that my goal is to not steer people away from reading it…just because it drove me nuts doesn’t me you’ll feel the same.

Overall Rating:
It’s really hard for me to pick a rating for this book because I was so split on it. But I think I will go with a number between my two above ratings and settle on 2.5

6 comments

  1. Great review Jen... sounds like you struggled with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I loved your reaction to this book! I haven't heard of it, so I guess I'll not be reading this one anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sucks that you didn't enjoy it. I have this in my TBR, but I definitely will be pushing it back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are WAY too many books like that! I get exasperated with YA sometimes because of books like the first half of this one. I haven't read it, but I doubt I'll pick it up anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess with any genre you can get burnt out on reading a lot of books with the same plot line. Just for some reason this type has never sit well with me.

      Delete

I love hearing from you and will try to respond to comments as much as possible.