Friday Foodie Affair: Homemade Peppermint Patties




 ...where I profess my love for food and food related things.




Homemade Peppermint Patties

This photo is from the same source as the recipe. 
The rest of the photos in this post are ones that I took.

Serves: Makes about 8 dozen.
Ingredients:
1 pound confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
4 ounces,  cream cheese, softened
¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions:
1. Using a mixer, gradually add the sugar to the cream cheese, beat well until incorporated.
I find that it's easier if you start with the mixer before switching to mixing with your hands. I think that's just a flash back to the way my mom did things when I was younger, we always mixed things with our hands. Just a warning though, you will get messy.

2. Add peppermint extract and combine well.
3. Roll dough into teaspoon size balls and place on baking sheet(s) lined with wax paper or parchment. Create a small “bowl” or indention in each ball using a ¼ teaspoon or your finger. Cover with plastic wrap and let firm up in refrigerator for a few hours.

4. When peppermints have firmed, melt chocolate according to package directions (microwave is fine). Fill a piping bag or freezer bag with the corner snipped with the melted chocolate. Fill each mini peppermint bowl/indention with chocolate and let cool.

If you would like to pretty them up a little you can add sprinkles or colored sugar.


5. Refrigerate in airtight container until ready to serve.
Helpful Tips: 
These are from the recipe source
  • When making the cream cheese/powdered sugar mixture, gradually add the powdered sugar until the right texture is achieved. You may end up needing to add a bit more than listed in the recipe, or less. It should hold together, but not sticky.
  • If working by yourself, only make a few balls at a time before pressing the bowls/indention’s to avoid them drying and cracking. The best thing is to work with someone else and have one person roll the balls, while the other follows behind making the bowls/indentations.
  • Be sure to keep main peppermint mixture lightly covered with plastic or a damp paper towel while making the balls to avoid it drying out.
My Thoughts:

I've made homemade candy before so this recipe wasn't difficult for me, it's just a little time consuming. 

The strength of the peppermint is up to you, you may like the more subtle flavor that comes with using the exact amount listed above but I'd suggest taste testing as you go. It took me a little while to get both the flavor and the texture right. I ended up using around 4x the amount of peppermint and more than a pound of 10x Sugar. 

Now on to the flavor. The peppermint candy part is quite tasty but once you get some chocolate in the same bite...just...wow. It's absolutely delish and it really does taste like a peppermint patty.


3 comments

  1. These look "to die for"!!!! I'm glad they turned out for you. I'm not sure but they might be a tad more work than I want to put into something. But, I might try them someday.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and will try to respond to comments as much as possible.