Friday Foodie Affair: A book with a slight foodie twist


 ...where we profess our love for food and food related things.

On this week's Friday Foodie Affair I have a book review and a few accompanying recipes. Enjoy...


Her Mad Hatter
By Marie Hall

Series: Kingdom #1 (129 page novella)
Genre: Adult, Fantasy, Romance

Alice is all grown up. Running the Mad Hatter’s Cupcakery and Tea Shoppe is a delicious job, until fate – and a fairy godmother with a weakness for bad boys – throws her a curveball. Now, Alice is the newest resident of Wonderland, where the Mad Hatter fuels her fantasies and thrills her body with his dark touch.

The Mad Hatter may have a voice and a body made for sex, but he takes no lovers. Ever. But a determined fairy godmother has forced Alice into Wonderland – and his arms. Now, as desire and madness converge, the Hatter must decide if he will fight the fairy godmother’s mating – or fight for Alice.

Her Mad Hatter on Goodreads, free on Amazon, and free on Barnes & Noble
Marie Hall’s Website

My Thoughts:

In Her Mad Hatter, the main characters are Alice and Hatter. Hatter is actually kind of a brute in a I’m so tormented that I’m going mad kind of way and Alice, well she is kind of awesome. I wish I could go into more details but alas this this a spoiler free zone so no dice.

In the beginning, you’re introduced to some of the other characters in Wonderland, the bad boys that fairy godmother is so fond of, which I’m sure is setting them up to be characters of other novellas but I would like to have seen them drawn more into the story. I could see myself loving them like I loved Hatter BUT as of now I could take them or leave them. 

I also wasn’t completely sucked into all of the Wonderland descriptions but the author did make me want to be whisked down the rabbit hole so I could experience the intricacies for myself…so mission accomplished right? And even though I didn’t soak in all I could with the descriptions I was still quite invested in the story. I laughed, I frowned, and I even teared up when the book went in unexpected directions.

The Foodie Twist - This isn’t really what I would call a foodie book since the food theme wasn't carried throughout the book. The cupcakery actually plays a faily small role BUT I still loved hearing about the business. It was tied so nicely into the story and wonderland themed cupcakes were unique enough to catch my attention. 

Overall Rating: 4 out of 5
Cupcake Recipes:
In honor of the Mad Hatter's Cupcakery and Tea Shoppe, I have hunted down a few cupcake recipes for you. Please note that I have not tried these recipes...yet.
Gingerbread Cupcakes ...because Hatter and Alice both need some spice in their life. Plus it's a recipe that takes a half an hour start to finish, can't beat that!
Mini Oreo Surprise Cupcakes ...because you never know what surprises you will find in Wonderland.
Zucchini Raspberry Cupcakes ...because the strangest combinations are sometimes the best.

What's YOUR favorite cupcake flavor combination? 

I've always had a weak spot for chocolate cake or cupcakes with chocolate icing, smashed up in a bowl of milk. It sounds strange, I know, but I love it :-)


4 comments

  1. I love cupcakes, and we have a great cupcakery nearby. I love their salted caramel cupcake, blueberry streusel, and the peanut butter chocolate. Now I want a cupcake. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salted caramel really seems to be popular now. I need to try it sometime.

      Delete
  2. Oh you should if you get a chance. :) The salt really balances out the sweet, buttercream flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm! Yep, with all of this food talk I definitely need to go to lunch early today!

      Delete

I love hearing from you and will try to respond to comments as much as possible.