Series reviews: Kate Daniels .5 & 1

I have decided to work on some of the series that I have started and just haven't gotten around to finishing. I will be reviewing all of the books in the series as well as the short stories (when possible). I will also let you know where (in what anthology) the short stories can be found as well as the correct reading order.

I am starting out this week with the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews.I started this series last year and only read the first book. No real reason why I stopped, just that other books got in the way I guess ;-)
Correct Reading Order:

0.5- "A Questionable Client"*
1- Magic Bites
2- Magic Burns
3- Magic Strikes
3.5- "Magic Mourns"*
4- Magic Bleeds
4.5- "Magic Dreams"*
5- Magic Slays
5.3- "Magic Tests"*
5.4- "Magic Gifts"*
5.5- Gunmetal Magic
5.6- "Retribution Clause"*
6- Magic Rises- Release date: 07/30/13
*-short story
0.5 "A Questionable Client"

Synopsis-

A Questionable Client, is a prequel to her award-winning Kate Daniels series. In a world beset by magic waves, Kate Daniels works as a mercenary. She is tired, hungry, and there is foul-smelling blood on her boots. All she wants to do is to go home, but when Mercenary Guild offers her a job she can't refuse, she finds herself protecting a man against Russian wizards.

My Thoughts:

This was an excellent preview of what is to come. There was a lot of action as well as a bit of mystery/suspense. Kate Daniels is a kick-ass heroine and I am so excited to read this series (finally)

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5

"A Questionable Client" can be found in the anthologies:
Dark and Stormy Knights and Magic Graves (links will take you to Goodreads).

Magic Bites (Kate Daniels #1) by Ilona Andrews


Synopsis-

When the magic is up, rogue mages cast their spells and monsters appear, while guns refuse to fire and cars fail to start. But then technology returns, and the magic recedes as unpredictably as it arose, leaving all kinds of paranormal problems in its wake.

Kate Daniels is a down-on-her-luck mercenary who makes her living cleaning up these magical problems. But when Kate's guardian is murdered, her quest for justice draws her into a power struggle between two strong factions within Atlanta's magic circles.

The Masters of the Dead, necromancers who can control vampires, and the Pack, a paramilitary clan of shapechangers, blame each other for a series of bizarre killings; and the death of Kate's guardian may be part of the same mystery. Pressured by both sides to find the killer, Kate realizes she's way out of her league but she wouldn't have it any other way...

My Thoughts:

I forgot so much of this I had to re-read it and was quickly absorbed in the story. There were some parts I vaguely recalled, but not many. The world building doesn't overwhelm the reader it sucks you in and makes you want more. The action does not stop. The book starts with the murder of Kate's guardian and her taking on the task of finding the killer. I won't go into many details as I don't want to spoil anything. Suffice it to say this is certainly a must read and what I am sure is going to be a fantastic series!

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5

Add to Goodreads
Buy it from Amazonor Barnes & Noble.
Ilona Andrews on Goodreads and her Website

2 comments

  1. Awesome! I didn't know there was a prequel. I loved Magic Bites and Magic Burns. Ready for summer to sit on the porch and read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a plan Judith! I will have Magic Burns done for next week so be sure to stop back :-)

      Delete

I love hearing from you and will try to respond to comments as much as possible.