First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson #1) by Darynda Jones

Goodreads Summary:

A smashing, award-winning debut novel that introduces Charley Davidson: part-time private investigator and full-time Grim Reaper.

Charley sees dead people. That’s right, she sees dead people. And it’s her job to convince them to “go into the light”. But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (i.e. murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she’s been having about an Entity who has been following her all her life…and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely.

My Thoughts:

I had heard a lot of positive things about First Grave on the Right so I was thrilled when I won a copy from St. Martin’s Press.

I started reading it on a Tuesday and, like a dummy, I forgot it at home when I went to work the next day. DOH! I was really hooked in the story so I did like any book addicted, borderline book hoarder would do…I made a special trip to a local bookstore to buy copy of it just so I could keep reading.

It’s such a good book with some great characters! I loved reading about Charley, Ubie, Cookie, Garrett, and Reyes. I’m all for smart assery and snark so Charley was by far my favorite character. She’s definitely not afraid to kick a ghost when they’re down….literally…although it’s not as bad as it sounds, haha.

I definitely recommend picking this up if you’re looking for a book with ghosts (etc.), action, mystery, and some sizzle.

Overall rating: 5 out of 5

First Grave on the Right on Goodreads, Amazon, and Barnes & Noble
Darynda Jones' Website


5 comments

  1. Yay! I am so glad you loved it!
    this book has been on my wish list ever since I saw it! Perhaps I should bump it up a little and get it with one of my giftcards.
    I think there is a second and maybe even a third book??? Do you plan on reading these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually started the second one already :-P

      Delete
  2. Ohhh I was wrong! There are 5 of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun review! Bet the book is this much fun too.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and will try to respond to comments as much as possible.