Rusty Review: The Mother Road by Meghan Quinn

The Mother Road
by Meghan Quinn

Goodreads
Amazon

Never in a million years would I have pictured myself as an axe-weilding, dragon lady, chopping up multi-colored flannel shirts into my very own plaid mulch. But here I am, chopping away my frustrations.
It all started when my brother, Paul, convinced me to go on one last family road trip across the Mother Road with him and my dad.. Just like old times, right? Wrong. What Paul fails to mention is his best man, Porter, will be joining us, who just so happens to be my childhood crush and the man who broke my heart four years ago.
What is supposed to be a fun, family bonding experience across Route 66 turns into a war of pranks, awkward moments and bathrooms full of dirty flannel shirts and day old beard clippings. Paul's know-it-all attitude and Porter's devilish charm brings me to the brink of my sanity on my seven day trek across the United States with three bearded men in a small 1980's RV.

My 2 cents

This is a 'rusty review' since I'm very rusty and out of practice when it comes to reviewing.

The short version

I adored this book.

The long version

The relationships between the characters, the antics and verbal volley's, the past heartbreak and present tension, the fact nerd drama queen, Hottie McHotterson, the road trip itself. All of that, and more, worked together to form a book that made me laugh, sigh, drop my jaw, and then pick it back off the floor. Most of all it made me want to plan a road trip with the McMann's. Who am I kidding, I'd never survive that family haha!

Nitpicks: At times it seemed like this book was a little...too much. I think the author may have intentionally gone for the shock factor which sometimes worked and was sometimes ended up distracting me from the story. I also thought Marley was so far off her hinges at points. How old is she again?! because I don't think she acts it sometimes.

4 comments

  1. Wow! You are on a blogging roll!

    I like the short version and the long version. So many tines I am reading through a review... and reading... and reading, then back through... and thinking - did she like it or not???? LOL
    You just cut to the chase! But then we can read the long version to get some detail.

    Good job! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      I'm just going with the flow and seeing where it takes me.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like such a cute book!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and will try to respond to comments as much as possible.