So why am I posting about this months early? One will never know ;) but since it's on my mind, I thought I would list some general RAT (read-a-thon) tips for any first timers out there.
1. Pick books you are 90% sure you will like! There's nothing worse than trying to force the connection to a book during a RAT.
2. If you find yourself forcing said connection then it may be wise to put it down and grab a different book so you don't mess with the flow of the thon.
3. A friend (Wendy at Wall-to-Wall Books) suggested reading Young Adult books, which makes sense because they are sometimes easier/quicker reads.
4. I believe at one point Wendy also said she reads shorter books. I think tho is a good idea too. Finishing more books may keep you motivated to kick RAT butt!
5. Plan out quick prep foods and snacks. You may decide to break up the RAT by cooking meals but if you want to read straight through the 24 hours then having grab and go types of food is always a time saver!
6. Stock up on sugar and caffeine. Unless your body is the energizer bunny you may need something to peel your eyes open and jump start your brain...and what better to do that than candy, coffee, or high sugar soda? I found that brownies and milk is a good snack to pull me through the rough hours.
7. Take breaks. Get up and walk around, dance around the house like a nut, take the dog out, or maybe do some cheerleading for other RAT'ers.
8. Have a friend check in with you and cheer you on...or have them threaten to hold your eyes open with toothpicks (Wendy!!)if you start drifting off.
9. If you are the type tht can't read withy grouch distractions then find a quiet room and throw some caution tape across the door to warn off any brave souls. I try to make sure my hubby is working a full shift during the RAT. Otherwise he tends to say random dribble about every half hour until I start to develop a twitch.
10. Another friend (Kate at Epic Chocolate Fantasy) recommends trying different locations, a coffee shop for example.
11. She also recommends having a lot of music close at hand...which will work nicely since #7 has you dancing around the house like a nut :)
12. And the most important one...HAVE FUN!