Long Lost Poem

When I was younger, I enjoyed reading and writing poetry. I found a book of poetry at a yard sale and fell in love with one poem in particular. I have long since lost that poetry book, but parts of this poem have been stuck in my head ever since. I have attempted numerous times, to no avail, to find this poem online…until today. I’m not sure what made me decide to try again, but I’m very glad I did!

A poem by Mamie Ozburn Odum

Memories are treasured things
That keep the heart aglow,
Linking years with yesteryears
And loves we used to know.

Memories are links of gold
Connecting old and new,
The dearest recollections
Of things we used to do.

Memories are treasured bits
With dream-thoughts most sublime
Reweaving life's true journey
To join the hand of time.

I did a little further research and found another Mamie Ozburn Odum poem and although it’s not New Years, I think every day can be a new beginning with a ‘bright new dawn’.

A bright New Year, a promised dawn,
Ring New Year bells, ring on, ring on!

A bright New Year, a bright new dawn,
The old year fades, the old year gone.

A new beginning, another chance
Of nobler living to enhance.

A bright New Year, a bright new day,
A gladsome promise of work and play.

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring out the wrong, ring in the true.

Another year, a bright New Year,
Ring silver-noted chimes of cheer.

The singing, ringing sweet refrain
Gives hopes to hearts to try again.

A bright New Year, a coming dawn…
Ring New Year bells, ring on, ring on!

No comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and will try to respond to comments as much as possible.