The Apothecary by Samantha Jillian Bayarr

Summary from Smashwords.com:
When Claire Mayfield suddenly finds herself the new heir of a property that has lain vacant for over 100 years, she becomes leery of the rumors of the haunting from the three young children who were said to have been murdered there. As Claire explores the manor, she discovers her great uncle’s traveling medicine show from the 1800’s, and the clues that could solve the 100 year old murder-mystery.

My Review:
The book starts off with Clair struggling with her mother’s recent death as well as haunting dreams of Amelia. The plot starts to thicken as she learns of her mother’s secret last wishes.
Although my mom is far from the picture of good health, I’ve been fortunate and have not lost anyone close to me. I think this may have prevented me from fully identifying with Claire in the beginning. Even though I couldn’t identify with her loss, I have to admit that I loved her impulsiveness. I think most people may be the opposite of me and be able to relate to her loss and possibly not enjoy her impulsive nature.
I don’t want to reveal too much but this is a mystery as much as it's a ghost story. It’s not scary but it is a little spooky. I was reading on my galaxy tab this evening and in the middle of a ghostly part I realized it was dark and I didn’t have any lights on. Well, let’s just say I changed that pretty quick.
This book brought back memories of when I was a teenager. My family lived in a historic house that was said to be part of the underground railroad. My mom and other members of my family swear it was haunted. Even to this day my mom says that, along with other experiences, she saw a figure at the end of her bed one night. My only experience in that house was a touch lamp that would turn on by itself in the middle of the night. Faulty wiring? Ghosts? Who knows. I chose to not believe in ghosts yet not discount the possibility. In other words, if ghosts are out there I am much happier not knowing and not experiencing anything ‘otherworldly’.
I enjoyed this book and in the end I was attached to all of the characters. I also wonder if there will be another ghostly adventure in Claire’s future...

***This book was provided to me by the author in exchange for a honest review.

No comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and will try to respond to comments as much as possible.